Diagnostic Essay Example | Diagnostic Testing Related to Sensitivity/Specificity
The diagnostic testing presupposes completing some tasks and making many assumptions. Some of the concepts that play an important role in the process of identification of people suffering from the disease and people that do not have that condition are sensitivity and specificity. These steps are considered to serve for measuring the diagnostic accuracy.
Sensitivity of the test is regarded as the part of population diagnosed with the disease that has positive results. The concept of sensitivity can be determined only by testing those people who have the disease as it shows the effectiveness of test used to diagnose people with certain condition. The percentage shows to which extent the test defines the patient’s condition. For instance, if seven people out of ten diagnosed with pulmonary edema show positive results in the test, the sensitivity of the testing is seven to ten or 70%. This number does not mean that only seven people suffer from this illness. It indicates that in seven cases out of ten the test proves that a person has pulmonary edema. The rest of people have the disease as well, but the test fails to prove it.
Akobeng states that the specificity of a test refers to “the proportion of people without the disease who will have a negative result”. The concept serves for determining the effectiveness of the test in identifying people without the disease. If the test shows that 85 people out of 90 do not have certain condition, the specificity is 94% (85/90*100). Thus, in 94 cases out of 100 the test will correctly identify people without the disease.
The concepts of sensitivity and specificity in diagnostic testing are valuable as they help the caregivers see whether the test is effective in identifying people who have the disease and excluding those who do not. Sensitivity is used to determine whether the test is appropriate for finding people with some condition, and specificity is applied in order to find out whether the test is effective in identification of people that do not have that condition.
SEE ALSO: “Diagnostic Essay Writing“
Submit a Perfect Diagnostic Essay Without Any Problems!
Being a student, you need to complete different academic assignments to obtain new skills and competencies. A diagnostic essay is just one of many tasks that are assigned to college students to evaluate their writing and analytical skills. If you do not have sufficient experience in completing such papers, you may get puzzled and confused. However, if you take care of your academic performance and do not want to put it at risk by submitting a low-quality paper, you need to write a good-looking paper. We advise you to check out our handy manual that will help you figure out how a good diagnostic essay should be written.
Before you start working on your diagnostic essay, you need to understand its purpose clearly. As its title suggests, a diagnostic essay aims to “diagnose” a specific thing, person, issue, policy, or event. This means that you need to analyze your subject from different perspectives paying close attention to detail. A diagnostic essay is a great chance to show your creativity, writing talent, and imagination. Thus, if you want to receive a good grade for your essay, you need to be diligent and persistent. The characteristic feature of this assignment is that it has a very limited deadline for completion. As such, your tutor may give you only one or two hours for writing this paper. For many students, a tight urgency is a great challenge. However, we can assure you that if you know how to write your essay, you will cope with this challenge without any problems. Following our simple guidelines, you will be able to create an A+ essay without any problems.
What Strategy to Choose to Write a Great Diagnostic Essay?
Before you start working on an essay, you need to have a good plan that will help you organize the entire working process. Once your teacher has provided you with a topic, you need to think it over. Brainstorming your ideas is the best strategy that will allow you to receive the anticipated outcome. Make sure to come up with a strong thesis statement that will help your reader understand the central idea of your essay. Pay attention that writing your essay spontaneously, without having a clear plan, you may make it too shallow, as well as commit many mistakes. As such, we highly recommend you create a simple outline that will help you stay focused and keep your essay thesis-driven. The writing process involves a few simple steps that will be mentioned further. You should know that each of these steps is equally important. So, let us have a closer look at how a good diagnostic essay is written:
- Choose a good topic. Most probably, your professor will provide you with a list of topics allowing you to choose the one that attracts you the most. If you are allowed to select a subject for your essay, we highly recommend you pick up the one that fits your interests. Below, you will find the topics that may be developed in a good diagnostic essay:
- What are the main benefits and shortcomings of online education?
- What are the main challenges faced by foreign students?
- Why hunting should be forbidden?
- What are the benefits of working remotely?
- How to overcome racial discrimination in the present-day realms?
Choosing a topic that would be interesting both to you and your reader, you will have a higher chance to develop it into a good essay.
- Create a strong thesis. Basically, a thesis statement is your assumption closely related to the topic of your essay that is based on your rationale. Taking enough time to write a good thesis, you will enjoy writing the whole piece. Although the diagnostic essay has a very limited deadline, you should not underestimate the importance of good preparation;
- Write an outline. After you are done with drafting your thesis, you need to write an outline that will include all the important points that will be discussed in your essay. A good outline will allow you to skip irrelevant or inappropriate information focusing on the most meaningful ideas;
- Begin your paper with a good introduction. The opening paragraph of your diagnostic essay aims to introduce your topic to the audience. Ideally, this paragraph should grab the reader`s attention with a great hook. In academic writing, a hook can have the form of a fact, quote, anecdote, etc. In other words, it is something that should engage your reader;
- Proceed with writing your main body paragraphs. The main body is the major part of your essay, in which you need to discuss your topic using the best arguments and evidence. Pay attention that your main body should include several paragraphs that will discuss the main points of your topic separately, one by one. When moving from one point to another, do not forget to use smooth transitions because they will help you make the text of your diagnostic essay coherent and easy-to-comprehend;
- Write a conclusion. A conclusion is the last part of your essay. In most cases, it helps the writer make the last impression on the reader. Thus, you need to make your conclusion catchy and thought-provoking. Pay attention that your conclusion is not a separate part of your paper but it is the paragraph that aims to wrap up the discussion provided above. As such, this paragraph should not include new information;
- Proofread your essay. When the final draft of your essay is ready, you need to take some time to edit it thoroughly. Proper mechanics of the text is a particularly important part of the grading rubric. Thus, it is highly recommended to check out your essay and make sure it is free from grammatical flaws. What is more, the best diagnostic essays are always free from plagiarism.
As you can see, the entire process of writing a diagnostic essay can be pretty easy and effortless. Just follow our suggestions, use your creativity, and you will be able to impress the most demanding tutor. Good luck!